Vegetable Fritto Misto with Lemon Mayonnaise
- Fritto Misto:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 4 ounces green beans, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Lemon Mayonnaise:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
For the fritto misto: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour enough oil to fill the pan about 1/3 of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 375 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 1 minute.) Dredge the cauliflower, green beans, fennel, garbanzo beans, and lemon slices in the flour. Fry the dredged ingredients for 1 to 3 minutes until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
For the lemon mayonnaise: In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice together until smooth. Pour into a small dipping or serving bowl.
Arrange the fritto misto on a platter and serve with the lemon mayonnaise.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis