Whole Grain Spaghetti With Brussels Sprouts and Mushrooms
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound whole-grain or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, such as cremini, button or shiitake, cleaned and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup creme fraiche, at room temperature (about 8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 large lemon)
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted*
*Cook's Note: To toast the almonds, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely before using.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Toss with 1/2 cup cheese.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the Brussels sprouts, onions, mushrooms, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the creme fraiche, vegetable broth, lemon juice and lemon zest. Bring to a simmer and stir until the mixture forms a creamy sauce, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Pour the sauce over the pasta, add the almonds and toss until coated. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis