Zucchini and Carrot a Scapece
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large zucchini (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 10 medium carrots (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Heat 1/3 cup oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the zucchini and fry until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried zucchini to a baking dish. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle half of the garlic, basil, and mint leaves over the zucchini.
Add the remaining oil to the frying pan. Add the carrots to the hot oil and saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried carrots to the dish of zucchini. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining garlic, basil, and mint leaves over. Drizzle the vinegar over the vegetable mixture and toss gently to coat. Cool to room temperature. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Allow the vegetables to come to room temperature before serving. Transfer the scapece to a platter. Serve with bread, fish or chicken.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis