Grilled Italian Sausage with Sweet 'n Sour Peppers
Sponsor Recipe Courtesy of Johnsonville®
If you think you know sausage and peppers, think again! Take the big flavor of Johnsonville Italian Sausages and add bell peppers, almonds[, raisins and onions to take the flavor to the next level. Add polenta and Italian dressing for the best sausage and peppers dish you have ever had!]
- 2 packages (19 ounces, each) Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded
- 2 medium sweet red bell peppers, cut in quarters and seeded
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 roll (18 ounces) prepared polenta, sliced into 1/2 -rounds
1. In a small non-stick skillet, toast almonds over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Stir in raisins; remove from heat. Let stand for 1 minute.
3. Add vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
4. Return to medium-low heat, cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and set aside.
5. Preheat gas grill to medium-low. If charcoal, allow it to burn until white ash has formed on coals.
6. In a bowl, combine peppers and onion wedges. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat.
7. Place sausages and vegetables on grill, and use tongs to turn often. Grill covered for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and browned and vegetables are tender.
8. While sausages and vegetables are grilling, brush polenta slices with Italian dressing. Carefully place on grill, grill for 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted. Remove vegetables from grill.
9. Place in a large bowl, add prepared almond mixture; toss gently.
10. On a large platter, arrange grilled sausages, vegetables and polenta.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.