Bucatini a La Surf and Surf
- 1 pound bucatini
- 1 cup pancetta, diced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 16 Manila clams, scrubbed
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
- 12 to 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 sprig thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 pound 16/20 shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail on
- 1/2 pound calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
- 1/2 pound large bay scallops, cleaned, patted dry
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, and add a handful of salt. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and stir to keep it from clumping together and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-low heat, add the pancetta and cook until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the pancetta from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Drain fat from pan.
Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to pan over medium heat, add garlic, shallots, red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Then add clams, white wine, tomato sauce and thyme to the pan and cook, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until clams have opened. Season the shrimp, calamari, and the scallops with salt and pepper and raise the heat to medium-high. Add the seafood and cook until the shrimp just starts to turn pink and the squid and scallops become opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the pasta into the pan and toss until coated with the sauce. Transfer the pasta and shell fish to a large serving platter and garnish with the basil, parsley, pancetta, and coarsely ground black pepper. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.