Ginger Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped into even pieces
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian version
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 1/3 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
In a heavy Dutch oven, (prefer porcelain covered cast iron), over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and the sweet onions. Sprinkle with salt and sweat for 10 minutes, until just starting to caramelize. Add in the garlic and ginger and saute for 2 minutes more, being careful not to burn the mixture. Stir in the carrots, potatoes and the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until carrots and potato is very tender, about 15 to 18 minutes. Keep warm.
In a small saute pan, over high heat, lightly toast the pine nuts and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, thyme and black pepper.
With a stick blender, puree the carrot mixture and gradually add in the pine nuts and the yogurt mixture. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.
Cook's Note: You can prepare the soup 3 or 4 days ahead, refrigerated, and add the nut and yogurt mixture when ready to serve.