- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 pound bacon, 1/4 inch diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 heads romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat a grill or indoor grill pan to high.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy. Remove the onion and bacon from the pan. Add the balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Brush the romaine with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place on the grill cut-side down and quickly sear until grill marks are visible. Set aside.
For each serving, place a half head of romaine cut-side up on a plate and drizzle the balsamic dressing on top. Sprinkle with blue cheese and the bacon and onion, and garnish with cracked black pepper.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim