Lentil Puttanesca with Salmon
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skin and pin bones removed
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion, approximately 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup, rough chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 teaspoon minced anchovies
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon julienned basil, plus whole sprigs, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley leaves
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rinsed lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Season the salmon steaks with salt and pepper on all sides. In a large nonstick saute pan, over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering add the salmon fillets. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. Remove the fillets to a baking sheet fitted with a rack and put in the oven.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan, over high heat. When the oil is hot add the onions, capers, olives and anchovies. Stir often until the onions are just starting to caramelize. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes, red wine vinegar and the lemon juice. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lentils and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Stir in the basil and parsley and remove from heat.
Remove the salmon from oven, and transfer the fillets to serving plates. Top each serving with the puttanesca and garnish with a whole basil sprig.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.