Long Beach Coleslaw
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, trimmed and cut into 1/8-inch shreds
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce, trimmed and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup thick, chunky blue cheese salad dressing (such as Marie's)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, red onion and garlic and cook 2 minutes (do not brown). Add the cabbage, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon pepper and the vinegar and mix thoroughly; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate 30 minutes.
In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce with the blue cheese dressing. Drain the cabbage and lightly mix with the iceberg and dressing. Add more pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Photograph by Kat Teutsch
Thank you! your flag was submitted.