Pigs in Spicy Buttermilk Blankets
- Pork Sausage, recipe follows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for bench
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Chipotle Agave Mustard, recipe follows
- Pork Sausage:
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Chipotle Agave Mustard:
- 3 tablespoons amber agave
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from canned chipotles
- Pinch pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
Form the Pork Sausage into 20 hot dog shapes, about 1/2 cup each, 4 to 5 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high and cook the sausages until evenly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Set on a paper towel-lined plate to cool completely.
In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the bottom blade, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, Italian seasoning, mustard powder, baking soda, cayenne and sea salt and pulse 3 to 4 times for 4 to 5 seconds each time to combine. Add the butter cubes and pulse 5 to 6 times for 4 to 5 seconds each time until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Add the mozzarella cheese and pulse again, 3 to 4 times for 4 to 5 seconds each time until well combined. Add the buttermilk and process until a dough ball forms.
Flour a work surface and turn the dough ball out onto it. Sprinkle lightly with flour and gently pat out and roll into a 10 by 15-inch rectangle. With a bench knife or pizza wheel, trim the edges to make even. Cut this in half lengthwise and again in half the short way. Cut the dough in 5 even cuts the short way to create a rectangle that is 2 squares deep on the short end and 5 squares along the long end. Cut these 5 by 3-inch squares into triangles; you should have 20 squares.
Add the cooled sausages to each fat end of the triangle. Roll up, tucking the thin end under and place on the prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart. Repeat with the remaining triangles and sausages.
Brush the tops with the beaten egg and place in the oven. Bake until golden brown, about 16 minutes. Serve immediately with Chipotle Agave Mustard.Pork Sausage:
In a small skillet over high heat, add the coriander, fennel and caraway seeds. Toast, stirring frequently, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a small plate to cool.
Once the spices have cooled completely, add to a mortar and grind with the pestle until powdery. Add the garlic, sage, salt, pepper and red chile flakes and grind to mix and combine. Add the spices to the ground pork.
Add the maple syrup to the ground pork and incorporate with your hands, combining well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.Chipotle Agave Mustard:
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Will keep for 1 week.
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri