Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb, 1-inch diced (4 to 5 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (see note)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking (not instant) oatmeal, such as McCann's
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the fruit, toss the rhubarb, strawberries, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, and the orange zest together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice and then mix it into the fruit. Pour the mixture into an 8 by 11-inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
For the topping, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brown sugar, salt, and oatmeal. With the mixer on low speed, add the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist and the mixture is in crumbles. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit, covering it completely, and bake for 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream.
2010, Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?, All Rights Reserved