Tuscan Mashed Chickpeas
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, preferably Goya
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 ripe medium-size tomatoes, seeded and small-diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled country bread for serving
Pour the chickpeas into a colander and rinse them under cold running water. Drain well. Place the chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the chicken stock and pulse until the chickpeas are coarsely pureed.
In a medium (10-inch) saute pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomato and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until the tomato is softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chickpeas, stirring to combine with the tomatoes and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Off the heat, stir in the Parmesan, parsley, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and taste for seasonings. Pile in a serving bowl, drizzle with extra olive oil, and serve with shards of grilled country bread.
2012, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof, All Rights Reserved