Crackling Fish Tacos with Chipotle Tartar Sauce
- For the tartar sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- For the tacos:
- 2 pounds skinless red snapper fillets (or other firm, flaky
- white fish)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 8 -inch flour tortillas
- 1 cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise, seeded and
- sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Lime wedges, for serving
Combine all the tartar sauce ingredients in a small bowl, using salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Rinse the fish under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1-inch pieces and put in a bowl with the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Turn the fish to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 4 hours.
Place the flour in a shallow dish and toss the fish pieces in it, a few at a time, until evenly coated. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. (To see if it's hot enough, place a small piece of bread in the oil; it should sizzle immediately.) Carefully add a few pieces of fish at a time, shaking off excess flour before placing them in the oil. Fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla and warm for 10 to 20 seconds on each side. Place on a plate and cover with a kitchen towel; repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Spread a dollop of the chipotle tartar sauce on a warmed tortilla. Add a few pieces of cucumber and top with 3 or 4 pieces of fish, a few arugula and cilantro leaves and a little orange zest. Serve with lime wedges and more tartar sauce on the side.
Photograph by Tina Rupp
Thank you! your flag was submitted.