- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut crosswise in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile one seeded, ribbed and chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 (12-ounce) can pinto beans, washed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Heat a large skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Add the bacon and fry until crispy, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, discard all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat. Add the bay leaves, oregano, cumin, onions, chile, tomatoes and beans to the skillet. Cook the beans on a low flame for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot in bowls.
Recipe courtesy Ingrid Hoffmann, 2008