Janette's Oven-Baked French Fries with Homemade Ketchup
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion, chopped, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the fries: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel the potatoes and cut into desired French-fry size. Place in a plastic bag along with the oil and shake until potatoes are evenly coated. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Put the potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with cayenne and black pepper.
Bake, turning potatoes once, until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the ketchup: Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. If you like it chunky serve as is. If you don't want the ketchup chunky, put ingredients into a food processor to puree.
When the fries are done, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with the ketchup.
2002, Janette Barber and Christina Deyo, all rights reserved
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse