Janette's Oven-Baked French Fries with Homemade Ketchup
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion, chopped, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- Pinch ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the fries: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel the potatoes and cut into desired French-fry size. Place in a plastic bag along with the oil and shake until potatoes are evenly coated. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Put the potatoes on the baking sheet in a single layer and sprinkle with cayenne and black pepper.
Bake, turning potatoes once, until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the ketchup: Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside. If you like it chunky serve as is. If you don't want the ketchup chunky, put ingredients into a food processor to puree.
When the fries are done, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with the ketchup.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse