Homemade Sour Cream and Onion Chips
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed, washed and thinly cut on a mandoline (about 1/10thof an inch)
- 8 cups peanut oil
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Whisk together 8 cups water with 1/4 cup of the salt. Place the sliced potatoes into the water-and-salt solution and let soak for at least 20 minutes. After they have soaked, dry thoroughly on a paper towels or dish towels.
Heat the oil a large Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
In handful-size batches, fry the potatoes until they just turn golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Toss immediately in a large bowl with some of the spice mixture. Then place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle them again with some of the spice mixture.
Hold them in semi-airtight container for a few days, if you can stand it that long.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro