Jimmy's Grandma's Tomato Sauce with Bucatini
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, finely diced
- Two 6-ounce cans tomato paste
- Two 28-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound bucatini, cooked to al dente
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Place a large roasting pan over 2 burners set to medium heat. Add the butter, garlic and onions and sweat for 6 to 7 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Add the tomato sauce and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover with foil and transfer the pan to the oven for 5 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. (Baking in the oven ensures the sauce cooks down without burning.)
Transfer the sauce to a blender along with the basil, Parmesan and sugar, and blend well. Season with salt and pepper. Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce. Serve in shallow bowls, garnished with Parmesan.