- 1 ounce slab bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Granny Smith apple, julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until just crisp. Add the onion and garlic and sweat until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir to coat in the rendered bacon fat. Add the vinegar, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the liquid is reduced by three-quarters and the cabbage is tender, about 12 minutes. Add the orange juice and cook until reduced by half, about 5 more minutes.
Remove the cabbage from the heat and fold in the apple. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.