- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 3/4 cups milk
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Place the potatoes in a pot. Cover with water and add the salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small skillet and saute the onion, cumin and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the corn and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the milk and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes, the season with salt and pepper.
Remove the potatoes from the heat and drain. Mash the potatoes and add the corn mixture. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.