Korean Pulled Pork Sandwich with Asian Slaw
- Korean Pulled Pork:
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons gochujang (or more if you want it spicier)
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 5 pound pork butt, trimmed of excess fat
- Korean BBQ Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons gochujang
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Asian Slaw:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 ounces snow peas, julienned
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soft sesame hamburger buns
For the Korean pulled pork: Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
Whisk together the soy sauce, gochujang, hoisin, ketchup, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, five-spice powder and pepper until smooth. Rub the pork with the marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
Prepare the Caja China according to manufacturer's directions. Cook until the pork reaches 190 degrees F, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Remove the pork, place in a baking pan, tent with foil and let the pork rest for 20 minutes. Reserve the juices for the BBQ sauce.
For the Korean BBQ sauce: Heat the oil in a medium high-sided saute pan. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Whisk in the reserved juices from the pork, the chicken stock, ketchup, gochujang, honey, soy sauce and five-spice powder and cook until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat, add the vinegar and sesame oil.
For the Asian slaw: Whisk together the vinegar, honey, sesame oil, and soy sauce until the honey is dissolved. Add the peas, carrots, cabbage and sesame seeds. Toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
For serving: Using tongs, pull the pork into bite-size bits. Toss with the BBQ sauce. Mound some slaw on the bottoms of the buns. Top with the pork and the top bun.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Hawaiian BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with Grilled Pineapple Relish, North Carolina-Style BBQ Pulled-Pork Sandwiches, Pulled Pork Sandwich with Black Pepper Vinegar Sauce and Green Onion Slaw, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes, Pork Recipes, Easy Main Dish, Burrito Recipes, Pork Loin Recipes