Lebanese Mezza Dishes: Fattoush, Hoummus, Baba Ghannouj
- Fattoush or Peasant Salad:
- 2 cups shredded lettuce (romaine and/or iceberg)
- 1 large or 2 small cucumbers, small dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, leaves only, no stems
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, no stems
- 1/2 to 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 2 pieces of pita bread toasted until golden brown, broken into pieces the size of a quarter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Hummus or Chick Pea Dip:
- 2 (16-ounce) cans chick peas, drained, reserve juice
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup tahini ( sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 cup (or more) lemon juice
- Baba Ghanoush or Eggplant and Tahini dip:
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
In a small bowl mix all dressing ingredients well.
Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 to 1 cup dressing. Serve immediately.Hummus or Chick Pea Dip:
Drain and dry chick peas. Put garlic in food processor and mince. Add chick peas and mince, scraping down the sides. Add salt, tahini and lemon juice. Mix. Taste. Add enough reserve chick pea juice to make a thick creamy consistency. You should be able to make an indentation in the hummus with a back of a spoon. Check taste again for additional lemon or salt.Baba Ghanoush or Eggplant and Tahini dip:
Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and put upside down on a greased foil lined pan. Put under a broiler until the outside skin is charred black and the pulp inside is soft (15 to 30 minutes). Scrape out eggplant and put in bowl to cool, preferably in refrigerator for several hours. Pour off extra liquid before using.
In a food processor, mince garlic, and scrape down sides. Add eggplant, salt, and 1/4 cup tahini. Pulse the food processor to mix. Slowly add lemon juice. Taste. Adjust salt and lemon or tahini.
Serve on a shallow platter and garnish with chopped parsley, miniature eggplant, tomato or radish roses. Serve with Lebanese pita bread.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.