Linguine alle Vongole
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces thinly sliced pancetta, cut into thin strips
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds cherrystone clams, scrubbed
- 1 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 small dried hot chiles (1-inch) or 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces dried thin linguine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute pancetta, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and saute, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds.
Stir in clams, broth, wine, and chiles and boil, covered until clams open, about 4 to 5 minutes (discard any clams that do not open after 6 minutes). If using whole chiles, remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
While clams are cooking, cook pasta in a 6-quart pot of well-salted boiling water until al dente. Drain in a colander, then add to clams and simmer, stirring, 30 seconds.
Toss pasta with parsley and drizzle with remaining 5 tablespoons oil.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.