This is a good make-ahead company dessert, and it's a really beautiful color.
- 1 cup water
- 1 (4-serving size) package sugar-free lemon gelatin
- 10 ounces frozen unsweetened strawberries, partly thawed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 6 fresh strawberries, optional, for garnish
- 6 mint leaves, optional, for garnish
Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Put the gelatin and boiling water in a blender, and process for 10 to 15 seconds to dissolve the gelatin. Add the strawberries and process again, just long enough to blend in the berries. Put the blender container in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, or just until the mixture starts to thicken a bit.
Add 3/4 cup of the heavy cream, and process in the blender just long enough to mix it all in, about 10 to 15 seconds. Pour into 5 or 6 pretty little dessert cups and chill in the refrigerator, at least 1 hour.
With an electric mixer or by hand, whip the remaining 1/4 cup of cream with the vanilla and sugar substitute. Top each cup with a dollop if whipped cream. If desired, cut a strawberry into a fan-shape, and place on top with a mint leaf to garnish.