Low Country Shrimp and Grits with Stewed Tomatoes
- 2 cups 2-percent milk
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- One 28-ounce can low-sodium whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- 2 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper or to taste
- 24 large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups water, the milk, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste for the grits to a gentle boil. Whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth and thick and falls easily from the spoon, 45 to 60 minutes.
Towards the end of the cooking time for the grits, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes with their juice and the bay leaves. Season with cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Increase the heat under the tomatoes to medium high and add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp are pink and firm, an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the parsley. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
When the grits have thickened, stir in the cheese and butter. To serve, place a heaping spoonful of grits on each plate. Top with the shrimp and tomato gravy. Garnish with additional Parmigiano-Reggiano and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Shrimp and Truffled Grits with Moroccan Chorizo Broth, Charleston Shrimp and Grits with Tasso Blue Crab Gravy, LoLa Shrimp and Parmesan Polenta Grits with Tomato Basil Concasse, Easy Dinner, Dinner Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Spicy Shrimp Recipes, Burrito Recipes, Fried Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.