Potato and Poblano Gratin
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 large poblano chiles, charred, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 2-inch wide by 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema, or creme fraiche
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 pound), unpeeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick rounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cup coarsely grated Monterey Jack cheese
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine the poblano strips and corn.
In a small bowl, mix together the half-and-half and crema.
Arrange 1/2 of the potato rounds, overlapping slightly, in the prepared pie dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the poblano-corn mixture on top, season with the salt and pepper, and top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the cheese. Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet. Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden brown, about 30 minutes longer.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Cook's Note: For easy peeling, enclose the charred poblanos tightly in a plastic bag.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid