Chocolate-Chocolate Veggie Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup peeled, roughly chopped carrots, or baby-cut carrots
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, such as Dutch process
- 1/4 cup milk, plus 1/4 cup as needed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil, for greasing the pan
- Fresh fruit, for garnish
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Place the yogurt, carrots, oats, spinach, cocoa, 1/4 cup milk, honey, vanilla and apples into a high quality blender. Blend on high until the mixture is very smooth like the consistency of melted ice cream, about 1 minute. If the mixture is too thick, add an additional 1/4 cup milk and blend. Add the eggs and pulse to incorporate.
Pour the blended mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir gently 6 or 7 times with a wooden spoon. Add the chocolate chips and stir a couple more times. Do not over mix.
Heat a pancake griddle or skillet over medium heat. Use a basting brush to grease the pan, brushing on just enough oil to coat the surface. Pour the pancake batter, either using a heaping tablespoon for small pancakes or 1/4 cup measure for large ones. Cook the pancakes on one side until large bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and finish cooking on the other side, about 1 minute. Serve with fresh fruit and powdered sugar.
Recipes courtesy Melissa d'Arabian
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee