Melon and Apple Berry Crumble
- 4 large Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 cups granola cereal
- 2 cups pound cake or angel food cake, crumbled
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, chopped into chunks and softened
- 1 small honeydew melon, rind and seeds removed, and diced small
- 1 cup fresh berries ( blackberries, raspberries or blueberries)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the apples and half of the sugar into a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for approximately 10 minutes or until apples begin to soften. Drain them and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile combine the granola, crumbled cake, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium sized mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the chopped butter and continue stir until the wet and dry ingredients are mixed well and resemble wet bread crumbs.
Add the melon, berries, lemon juice and the remainder of the sugar to the apples and place into a deep baking dish. Top the fruit with the crumble mix and bake until done, approximately 30 minutes. You may want to place some foil on the rack under the dish to catch any spills.
(Be careful when you remove this dish from the oven, as the bubbling fruit will be very hot.)
Copyright 2006, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved