Grilled Zucchini Ribbon Salad
- 6 to 8 large zucchini, roughly 4 pounds
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt, preferable gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 lemons juiced
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
- 6 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, optional
- Shaved Parmesan, to taste
Prepare a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
Wash the zucchini and trim the ends. Using a mandolin or vegetable peeler thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise. Toss the zucchini with 1/3 of the olive oil, gray salt and pepper, to taste. Quickly grill the zucchini ribbons on 1 side, until lightly marked and wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a plate or a baking dish and let cool slightly.
When slightly cooled toss zucchini in a bowl with the remaining ingredients except nuts, if using and Parmesan. Spread onto a serving platter, top with pine nuts, if desired and shave Parmesan over the top. Eat and enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello, 2007