For the salad:
- 3 medium yellow beets (about 1 pound), stems trimmed off
- 3 medium red beets (about 1 pound), stems trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups baby leaf spinach
- 1/4 pound whole piece blue cheese (frozen)
- Toasted almonds
For the dressing:
- 3 cups tangerine juice, or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the beets in a baking pan, drizzle with the oil, and season with salt. Cover with foil. Bake for about 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a knife.
While the beets are roasting, make the dressing:
Return to the saucepan; add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Over medium heat, reduce until the mixture bubbles and has a syrup-like consistency. You should have about 1/4 cup. Remove from the heat and strain again. Let cool to room temperature. Add the olive oil. Set aside. (Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 1/2 weeks.)
When cool enough to handle, peel the beets, and thinly slice them into rounds. Arrange on a serving platter and drizzle with the dressing. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the remaining dressing and place spinach on top of beets in the center of the platter.