Roasted Garlic Burger
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- Sea salt, preferably gray sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Roasted Garlic Paste, recipe follows
- 1 loaf good crusty bread, cut into 4 sections
- Roasted Garlic Paste:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound peeled garlic cloves, store bought
- Gray sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the grill. In a bowl, mix the meat, salt and pepper, and the roasted garlic paste.
Cook burgers over a hot fire until desired temperature is reached.
Meanwhile: Split the pieces of bread, and pull out some of the soft center to make a hole for the burger. Place the bread face down on the grill to toast.
Place the burger in the bread, and top with your favorite condiments.Roasted Garlic Paste:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat an ovenproof saucepan on the stovetop. When it's hot, add the extra-virgin olive oil. Next, add the cloves and season with salt and pepper. Let the cloves begin to caramelize, then put the pan in the preheated oven.
Roast cloves in the oven for about 30 minutes or until they are nicely browned. (Starting the garlic on the stove will save at least 20 minutes of roasting time). Let cool.
When cool enough to handle easily, put the roasted garlic into a small bowl, mash with a fork and add oil from the pan until a paste forms. Store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 1 week.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello