Shaved Carrot, Fennel, and Tangerine Salad
- 8 ounces carrots (about 3 medium)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar, plus more as needed
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups watercress sprigs, thick stems removed
- 1 cup tangerine sections
- Sea salt, preferably gray salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add the red onion. Gently mix in watercress and tangerines. Season with salt and pepper, toss well, taste, and add more vinegar if needed. Serve immediately.
Michael's Notes: If your tangerines are small, you can leave the sections intact. If the tangerines are large, or if you want to use oranges, you should remove each citrus section from its membrane. To do so, cut a slice off both ends of each fruit so it will stand upright. Stand each fruit on a cutting surface and, using a sharp knife, remove all the peel and white pith by slicing from top to bottom all the way around the fruit, following its contours. Cut the sections away from their membranes.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello