For the filling:
- 3 pounds fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the dough:
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 prepared pizza dough rounds, about 4 ounces each
- 1/2 cup crystal sugar
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- 1 egg, beaten with splash water
Add all the filling ingredients to a sauce pot and bring up to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes and let cool. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly flour a cutting board and roll out each dough to approximately 8-inches in diameter. Sprinkle on sugar and anise seed and gently roll into dough to incorporate. Turn over (sugar side down) and fill with 1/2 cup filling, brush sides with egg wash and fold over and seal using pie crust fold. Pierce the top with a fork and bake in preheated oven until medium brown. Let cool and serve.