- 1 cup grated onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup day old bread, small diced and soaked in milk
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 lemon, zested
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flour, for dredging
- 12 lemon wedges, for garnish
- Mint leaves, for garnish
In a medium skillet, sweat onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 2 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
Wring the excess milk out of the soaked bread cubes.
Place all ingredients, except flour and garnishes, in a large mixing bowl and combine by hand until fully incorporated. Form into little meatballs (about 1-ounce each).
In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Dredge, or roll the meatballs in flour, and fry in the skillet until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on paper towels to drain the excess fat.
Place on platter and garnish with lemon wedges and torn mint leaves.