- 1/4 cup picholine olive brine
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 1 pound sushi-quality yellow fin tuna, thinly sliced across the grain
- 3 ounces (about 18) picholine olives, pitted and slivered
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 Meyer lemons, zested
In a glass baking dish or a wide, shallow, nonreactive bowl, mix together olive brine and lemon juice. Gently toss in tuna slices and olive slivers. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, occasionally moving tuna slices around gently in marinade to ensure that slices cure evenly.
Just before serving, strain the tuna slices from marinade. Divide tuna between 4 to 6 appetizer plates. Spoon a little marinade (with olive slivers) over the tuna. Grind black pepper, to taste, over each serving. Garnish with fennel and lemon zest, and serve immediately.
2008, Michael Symon, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse