Mile End Chopped Liver
- 6 cups of chopped onions
- 1 cup schmaltz (rendered chicken fat)
- 2 pounds chicken livers
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of quatre-epices (equal parts white peppercorns, ginger, cloves and cinnamon, ground together in a coffee or spice blender)
- 9 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 to 7 scallions sliced into thin rings
- 6 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 to 3 large pinches of pepper
- For serving:
- Pickled shallots
- Minced chives
- Rendered chicken skin pieces
- Sieved egg (a peeled hard-boiled egg pressed through the coarse holes of a box grate or zester)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Fry the onions in schmaltz, add the chicken livers, thyme and bay leaves and cook for 10 minutes, then let the mixture cool. Add the quatre-epices and eggs to the livers. Place the mixture in a food processor and process to a coarse consistency. Stir in the scallions and season with the salt and pepper.
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
2013, Noah and Rae Barnamoff, All Rights Reserved