Red Kidney Bean Dip
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 fat cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 3/4 cups kidney beans, reserving the liquid in the can
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Special equipment: food processor
Heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft and golden.
Add the kidney beans and their liquid and stir in the tomato paste and spices and cook for a few minutes.
Add the lime juice to the kidney bean mixture. Take the pan off the heat and when it has cooled a little, process the mixture until it is a bumpy puree. When it is cool, arrange in small bowls and sprinkle over the reserved lime zest.
Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson
(Copyright 2004, Feast, Hyperion, All Rights Reserved)
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee