- 2 cups dried currants
- 1/4-cup orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier) or water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium oranges, zest finely grated
- 1 tablespoon coarse polenta or cornmeal
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to combine. Gradually add the eggs and vanilla and mix on medium speed until incorporated, (the mixture will look curdled). Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour mixture all at once and mix again on low speed until a dough forms - scrape again including the beaters. When a dough forms add the currants, zest, and polenta and mix on low until thoroughly combined. Roll into small 1-inch balls, and arrange on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.