- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) butter
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 2 oranges, zested
Orange Liqueur Frosting:
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, extract and eggs. In another bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the orange liqueur and orange zest.
Alternate the egg mixture and flour mixture into the butter and sugar until well combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
Refrigerate the frosting until the cupcakes are cooled, about 30 minutes. Frost each cupcake and serve.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.