- 1 (3 1/2 pound) chicken
- Black pepper and salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 red peppes, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
- 4 large tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 5 ounces Csabai sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup long grained rice, boiled
Remove wings from chicken, cut chicken into 4 pieces, 2 legs and 2 half breasts. Dry meat thoroughly. Place 1/4-cup olive oil into a pan on the heat, add the chicken - skin side down and brown on both sides. Brown the sausage pieces on all sides In a separate pan place 2 tablespoons of olive oil - add the garlic and then the capsicum. Add 2 tomatoes and allow the vegetables to sweat together. Add the mushrooms to the chicken and the sausage. Moisten with 1/2-cup dry white wine and then add vegetable mixture. Simmer 25 minutes. Remove chicken pieces to a heated serving dish and keep warm. Add 2 tomatoes to the sauce. Raise the heat under the pan, bring to the boil and reduce sauce. Add the parsley and 1/4 cup white wine. Reduce for 2 minutes. Coat chicken with half of the sauce. Place the boiled rice on a separate dish, make a well in the center and fill with the rest of the warm sauce.
A traditional French specialty from the Basque Country.