Pretzel-Crusted Pickle Chips with Mustard Sauce
- For the Sauce:
- 1 1/4 -inch-thick slice red onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 11/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- For the Chips:
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 large dill pickles, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 cups salted mini pretzels
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Celery salt, for sprinkling (optional)
Make the sauce: Mix the onion, both mustards, the mayonnaise, paprika, garlic powder and salt to taste in a bowl. Set the sauce aside.
Make the chips: Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently pat the pickle slices dry with a paper towel.
Put the pretzels in a large resealable plastic bag and crush into coarse crumbs using a rolling pin or heavy pan; transfer to a plate. Whisk the eggs in a shallow bowl and put the flour in another bowl. Dredge the pickle slices in the flour, shaking off any excess; dip in the beaten eggs, then dip in the pretzel crumbs, turning to coat. Working in batches, fry the pickles until golden and crisp, about 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with celery salt, if desired. Serve warm with the mustard sauce.
Photograph by Yunhee Kim
Thank you! your flag was submitted.