Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 8 pound bone-in pork picnic shoulder
- 1/3 cup freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated onion powder
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup hickory chips, prepped, method follows
- Mop Sauce, recipe follows
- Wilsons' BBQ Award Wining Eastern Carolina Vinegar Sauce, recipe follows
- Fo Slaw, recipe follows
- Ciabatta rolls or other crunchy, chewy rolls
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle ketchup
Rinse and dry the pork shoulder. Let rest at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours. In a small bowl, combine black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, dry mustard and cayenne. Rub mixture all over the pork.
Arrange the oven racks in the middle and lower parts of the oven and preheat to 225 degrees F. Put a sheet tray on the lower rack and the pork directly on the middle rack, uncovered. Put the cast iron pan with the hickory chips on the floor of the oven. Remove the chips after 2 hours of cook time. The entire cooking time will be 8 to 10 hours.
Apply mop sauce every hour throughout the cooking time.
In the last hour of cook time, remove pork, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and then in aluminum foil and return to the oven for 1 more hour. Remove the pork from the oven to a work surface. Let rest until cool enough to pull the pork from the bones.
To serve, cut the buns in half and pile up some pulled pork. Top with the Vinegar Sauce, then a large spoonful of the Fo Slaw and a final spoonful of sauce. Cover with the bun top and serve.
Hickory Chip directions:
Soak the chips submerged in water for 15 minutes. While chips are soaking, preheat a 9-inch cast iron pan on the stove top over medium heat until it is ash-white hot. Remove chips from the water and add to the cast iron pan. Put the pan on the bottom floor of the oven for the first 2 hours of pork cooking time.
Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and reserve.
1 head cabbage, cored, tough leaves removed and shredded
2 small carrots, shredded
Wilsons' BBQ Award Wining Eastern Carolina Vinegar Sauce:
Recipe courtesy Ed Wilson, Wilson's Holy Smoked BBQ
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.