Black Bean and Beef Chili with Green Sour Cream
- 2 ancho chiles, seeded and stemmed
- 2 guajillo or New Mexican dried chiles, seeded and stemmed
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large portobello cap, scraped of gills and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, patted dry
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup lager beer
- One 14-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Sharp Cheddar, for topping
- Tortilla chips, for dipping
Toast the chiles in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the stock and simmer to reconstitute, 10 minutes, then puree with 2 to 4 tablespoons of the liquid until smooth.
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high to high heat. To the pot add the mushrooms and brown. Then add the meat, brown and crumble. Season the meat with the coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Then add the onions, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, Worcestershire, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Deglaze with the beer and add the beans and pepper puree and simmer 45 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Serve right away, or cool, refrigerate and then reheat on the stovetop.
When ready to serve, peel and pit the avocado. Puree the avocado, sour cream and lemon juice, and season with salt.
Top the chili with the cheese, green sour cream and serve with the chips.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray