Brandied Tarragon Cream Chicken (Chicken a la Vallee d'Auge), Camembert Rice with Warm Endive and Apples
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup calvados or applejack brandy
- 6 large white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 3 endive
- 2 Golden Delicious apples
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
In a medium sauce pot over medium heat melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add rice and toss to coat, toast 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 18 minutes, fluff with fork and stir in Camembert to melt.
While the rice cooks, heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dredge chicken lightly in flour and shake off any excess. Brown chicken 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and reduce heat a little and melt in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Saute the shallots 3 minutes until soft but not browned. Remove pan from the heat, add the brandy and ignite with a long kitchen match until the flame subsides. Return pan to the heat, add mushrooms and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine and reduce 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and tarragon and slide chicken back into the pan.. Reduce heat to low and simmer 8 to10 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Trim the ends of endive and thinly slice the tight bottoms. Half the upper leaves across and separate the leaves. Quarter the apples lengthwise and cut away the core. Thinly slice the apples. Add the endive and apples and saute 3 to 4 minutes to tenderize. Dress the salad with vinegar and sugar, salt and pepper and chives.
Serve the chicken along side rice and endive and apples.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay