Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin Mac n Cheese
- 1 small head or bundle broccoli, trimmed into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower or half a large head, trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 pound whole-wheat macaroni or penne or other short cut pasta
- 2 cups sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup finely chopped chives
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated or crushed into paste
- A few drops hot sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated extra-sharp Cheddar
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the broccoli and cauliflower florets. Boil the vegetables for 5 minutes, then remove them with a spider or a strainer and drain. Add the pasta to the water and undercook by about 2 minutes, drain.
Meanwhile, combine the sour cream in a large bowl along with the mustard, chives, garlic, hot sauce and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the pasta and cauliflower and 2/3 of the cheese. Stir to combine, then transfer it to a casserole or baking dish and cover with the remaining cheese. Cool and chill for a make-ahead meal.
To heat and eat, put the casserole on baking sheet and bake it in the middle of a preheated 375 degree F oven until deeply golden and bubbly, about 40 to 45 minutes.