Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches
- 2 to 3 lemons, juiced (enough to yield 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- Half a palmful finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large or 3 to 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 loaf crusty French bread or 2 batardes (shorter, slightly wider baguettes)
Heat the oven to low heat.
In a bowl, add the lemon juice, sugar or honey, parsley, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil. Stir to combine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the dressing, turn to coat and let marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat a large skillet, broiler, grill or grill pan. Shake off excess marinade and cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Remove to a cutting board, let rest for a few minutes and slice on an angle.
While the chicken marinades and cooks, add the butter to a sauce pot over medium heat. When the butter melts, stir in the flour, cook 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Cook until thickened to a light gravy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Season with black pepper, remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon.
While the chicken cooks, crisp the bread in the warm oven.
Cut the bread into 4 portions and split or halve. Use tongs to dip the sliced chicken in the gravy and fill the rolls. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis