Chicken and Gravy Sandwiches
- 2 to 3 lemons, juiced (enough to yield 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- Half a palmful finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large or 3 to 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 loaf crusty French bread or 2 batardes (shorter, slightly wider baguettes)
Heat the oven to low heat.
In a bowl, add the lemon juice, sugar or honey, parsley, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil. Stir to combine. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the dressing, turn to coat and let marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat a large skillet, broiler, grill or grill pan. Shake off excess marinade and cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. Remove to a cutting board, let rest for a few minutes and slice on an angle.
While the chicken marinades and cooks, add the butter to a sauce pot over medium heat. When the butter melts, stir in the flour, cook 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Cook until thickened to a light gravy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Season with black pepper, remove from the heat and stir in the Dijon.
While the chicken cooks, crisp the bread in the warm oven.
Cut the bread into 4 portions and split or halve. Use tongs to dip the sliced chicken in the gravy and fill the rolls. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Smoky Orange Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken-Tequila Tailgate Sandwiches, Grilled Chicken Sandwich on Pretzel Baguette with Citrus Mustard, Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes, Oven Fried Chicken Recipes, Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes, Chicken Curry Recipes, Fried Chicken Recipes, Chicken