Chicken and Mushrooms with Rigatoni
If you don't have cooked chicken on hand, try Rachael's Poached Chickens Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- A few sprigs each fresh sage and thyme, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- About 1/3 cup marsala or dry sherry
- 2 cups tomato passata or puree
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups poached chicken, in bite-size pieces
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat the EVOO in a deep skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and melt into the oil. Add the mushrooms and brown well. Add the garlic, shallots, herbs and some salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Then add the tomato paste, stir 1 minute more. Add the marsala, stir. Add the passata, stock and cream, and combine. Add the chicken and simmer over low heat to thicken. Adjust seasoning. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal.
Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta, salt the water and cook the rigatoni to al dente. Reserve a cup starchy water, then drain. Toss the pasta with the sauce and add the starchy water as needed if the mixture seems dry or tight. Serve topped with Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.