Chicken Franks and Red Slaw-Kraut Dogs
Here are some fall favorites, piled into a hot dog roll. This is not your average ball park frank--but it is arm chair friendly special[ enough to serve up for The Series!]
- 8 chicken frankfurters or chicken sausage - pick a flavor that sounds like it will pair up well with the kraut, like apple and onion sausage
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or other light oil, divided
- 1 green apple, peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds or 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, eyeball it
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 8 frank rolls, split and toasted
- Spicy brown mustard, to pass at the table
Place the franks or chicken sausages in a medium skillet and add 1/2 inch water and about 1 tablespoon oil, 1 turn of the pan, to the skillet. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium. In 10 minutes or so the water will cook off and the casings will begin to brown and crisp in the oil. Cook until casings are evenly browned, 2 to 3 minutes more.
While the franks are working, heat a large skillet over medium high to high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and the apples, onions and cabbage. Sear and toss the cabbage, wilting it down as the mixture cooks. Season the cabbage with nutmeg, cumin and grill seasoning and cook until the cabbage and onions are tender, 15 minutes. Pour in the vinegar. Lean back when you add the vinegar - the fumes can burn your nasal passages a little. (Trust me on this.) Scatter in the brown sugar and toss to combine. Cook the vinegar off, 1 minute, and allow the sugar to coat the cabbage evenly. Taste to adjust seasonings.
Place franks on toasted buns and top with warm red slaw-kraut and spicy mustard.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Coq au Vin (Chicken in Red Wine), Red Chile Chicken Wings with Chipotle Honey Glaze, Sesame Red Curry Chicken with Bok Choy and Sweet Coconut Rice, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Soup Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Apple Crisp Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Chicken
Thank you! your flag was submitted.