Chicken Stew with Carrots and Leeks
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 ounces ham steak, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch discs
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 4 leeks, trimmed, sliced 1-inch wide, washed and dried
- 2 to 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon and parsley combined
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Crusty bread or baguette to pass at table
Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Brown the chicken in batches, and remove to a plate.
Add the ham to brown, then remove to a plate. Reduce the heat a bit, add the butter and when it foams, add the carrots, bay leaf and some salt and pepper. Cook partially covered for 5 minutes. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, then add in the garlic and leeks, cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock, then return the chicken and ham to the pot. Simmer partially covered to cook through and combine flavors, 30 minutes.
Cool completely and store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
To serve, reheat over medium heat, stir in the herbs and lemon juice. Pass bread at table.