Chickpea and Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- One 28-ounce can chickpeas
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 1 box chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat the oil, 3 turns of the pan, in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and lightly brown them, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and onions, and partially cover the pan to wilt the onions, 5 to 6 minutes more. Add the chickpeas, stock and 3 cups water, and bring to a low boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Add the spinach, separating it with your fingers as you stir it in. Adjust the salt and pepper and serve the soup in shallow bowls topped with grated cheese.
Get Rachael's shopping list for this episode's recipes here.