- Canola or safflower oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, eyeball it in palm of hand
- 2 pinches ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, available on spice aisle
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 egg whites
- 1 pound large fantail shrimp, deveined and peeled -- ask for easy peels at fish counter
Heat 2 inches oil over medium high heat. A cube of bread should brown in a 10 count when oil is ready.
Season bread crumbs with salt, cayenne pepper and five-spice powder. Cut the lime into wedges and reserve.
Toss coconut with seasoned bread crumbs to combine. Lightly beat the egg whites. Dip shrimp in the egg whites, then coat with the coconut breading. Fry shrimp 5 minutes in hot oil until evenly golden and crispy. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.
TIMING: To serve all of the courses together, a mix-n-match, family-style presentation, you can bread the shrimp and wait to heat oil and fry when you are ready to put the chicken stir-fry in the pan. Or, for separate courses, serve the shrimp with the salad, have your rice cooking and your ingredients prepped for the stir-fry, then stir-fry the chicken only when guests are ready for it.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.